1/4 c. non-fat dried milk
1 t. gelatin
2 T, sugar
2 t. vanilla
1/4 c. plain yogurt or yogurt starter
Mix together milk, dried milk, gelatin, sugar and vanilla in a double boiler and let stand for 5 min. Meanwhile, heat a pot of water to sterilize canning jars.
Once the water comes to a boil, add jars and let boil for 10 min.
Then remove jars and place on a
clean cloth to dry.
Heat milk mixture to 190F. Cook for 10 min. Prepare an ice water bath by filling a bowl with cold water and ice. Measure out the 1/4 c. of plain yogurt. I used Stonyfield Farm USDA Organic plain yogurt.
Once yogurt is done cooking place in the ice water bath and add the plain yogurt.
Fill sterilized jars with milk mixture. Place in warmed incubator for 8 hours. Refrigerate immediately. My yogurt had just finished when I started this post. I sampled it and it was delicious! It had a similar texture to store bought yogurt but the flavor was much better!
Final Product!!!!
How to make a yogurt incubator- Use a heating pad on medium to high heat (depending on your heating pad) inside a cooler covered with a towel. Once jars are placed in cover them with towel. Be sure to check heating pad often because some have an automatic shut-off. Keep cooler between 80-108F.
when we make yogurt my mom puts the jars in a 9x13 pan and wraps them with a towel and puts them in the oven. idk what temp though.
ReplyDeleteYes, I considered that idea, but I didn't want to have the oven running for 8 hours. It was certainly make a spike in the electric bill!
ReplyDelete