Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blueberry Jammin'

Don't say I didn't warn you!  Yes, I am posting another berry recipe, and it won't be the last!  :). 
We have a local blueberry field that has an abundace of blueberries in late July to the beginning August.  I often go there and pick blueberries, for free, coming home with enough for a few cobblers or crisps, a couple pies, or in this case blueberry jam!  Oh, and there is always some leftover for snacking! :)
Fresh picked wild Maine blueberries!


Blueberry Jam
4 1/2 c. fresh blueberries, pureed (I put mine through the blender)
1 package powdered pectin
4 c. sugar


Boil a saucepot of water.  Place 6-7 1 c. canning jars, the lids, a funnel, and tongs in the water.  This will sterilize the cookware and jars to eleminate bacteria and germs on them. 








Combine pureed bluebrries and pectin in a large saucepot.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Add sugar and stir until dissolved.  Return to a boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.  

Remove from heat.

Ladel hot jam into the hot jars, leaving about 1/4 in. headspace.  Place on the two piece caps.  Turn jars upside down for about 30 min.  Flip jars again and store at room temperature until opened.

P.S. Transfering the hot jam to the jars should be done as quickly as possible.  This minimizes the entrance of bacteria into the jam.  (Thus, why I have no pictues of this process.)  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment